1911 May 11 – Fork River
T.N. Briggs had a frame stable burned by some busy body starting a fire thinking it would do no harm.
A. Rowe had the misfortune to have a shoulder put out and a collarbone broke by a kick from a stallion. Hard lines these busy times.
The scribe whites to thank the Mowat correspondent for informing us that the council has given up the idea of advertising as there has been time enough fooled away and that they intend building bridges and roads. Bucking the Government Road Commissioner and holding the gardens and tools from him, as some of the council did, is poor policy when we want roads. It would also be well o remind the Chairman of Public Works that we have three traction threshing outfits in this municipality and it is doubtful whether the bridges built on the Winnipegosis road will carry them. The turns on two of them it would trouble the M.C. to get a wheelbarrow around them if he was coming was Winnipegosis.
The annual vestry meeting of All Saints’ Anglican Church was held last week. Mr. Littler took the chair and called on Wm. King, sec.-treasurer for his yearly report. The report showed the mission to be in good standing financially. The report was accepted and passed. Officers for 1911-12: Wm. King re-elected Minister’s Warden; C.E. Bailey, People’s Warden and Wm. King, sec.-treasurer. Mr. G. Littler is carrying on the work during Mr. Scrase’s absence by sickness. Mr. Littler gave a short address and the meeting closed with a vote of thanks to the officers and chairman.
Mr. Wm. King has been appointed registration clerk again for this part of the riding and commences at Fork River on Saturday, May 20th.
1911 May 11 – Winnipegosis
The ice is now out of the lake.
W. Cox, license inspector, was here on Saturday inspecting the Lake View hotel.
The work of rebuilding and adding to the old Albion hotel is progressing. The property has been purchased by a local company and the hotel, when completed, will be under the management of W.H. Parras, late of the Royal Alexandra, Winnipeg. The new house will be known as “The Wanigan” and will be a credit to the town.
F. Hechter has taken over the Lake View hotel and is conducting a good house.
Hon. Hugh Armstrong was a passenger to Portage on Saturday night. Capt. Coffey returned to Dauphin on Saturday.
It is expected with the change in the C.N.R. time table for summer that a tri-weekly daylight service will be put on. The traffic warrants it and if the service is given there will undoubtedly be a big increase in travel during the warm weather.
R. McPherson, who is living at the hatchery on Snake Island, will shortly remove with his family to Dauphin.
The new fishing regulations are as follows:
1911 May 11 – LAKE WINNIPEGOSIS AND WATERHEN LAKE
The use of gill nets for winter fishing shall be permissible from November 20 to the last day of February in each year, both days inclusive.
In Dawson bay, in the water of Lake Winnipegosis, north of the lines running east and west from the north end of Birch island, no nets having a mesh of less than 51/4 inches extension shall be permitted.